We've been working on a new collaboration with Simon Pyke of http://www.freefarm.co.uk for his new music video 'Let Be' (available on iTunes) We worked with Simon late in 2016 to produce 30 Seconds of Sound visualised, the new music video see's a move towards our new collaborative production arm of Sparkle 'People & Pixels' which will launch in 2017, offering varying directors, producers, sound designers and motion designers for high end film production.
When we first heard 'Let Be' it instantly sounded like a journey, Simon was keen to keep the same look and feel as his first video (Closer) so we decided to continue the journey from the first video, this time it being a POV video, who that person is will be revealed at the end of the video. The video is heavy on CG, as the POV looks around the new world, looking to discover where they are.. and who's controlling everything. We've put together a pre-production trailer before the CG reveals the world the person is looking around. Its been a very exciting project so far utilising new tech to capture the shots we needed for the video. 'Let be' will be released towards the end of March 2017.
Previosly we worked with Simon on Edition 4 of 30 Seconds of Sound Visualised.
We hope everyone's had a great start to 2017, we've come up with a few resolutions we're determined to continue with throughout the year.
- Collaborate More. We Collaborate a lot, we'll be making more of an effort this year as things are always stronger together. A conversation costs nothing, come have a chat, we've over 20 years of production experience both animated and filmed... we may have an idea or two up our sleeves thats suits your clients.
- Build more physical objects from 3D data. We'll be doing a lot of 3D printing in 2017 and combining it with animation & Film.. we need to more of this!
- Film More/Film Different - Use the full extent of our 4k+ Filming Kit.. Back to basics, film animation, film miniatures! 2017 will be keeping it simple yet high impact visuals, from the air, from the ground, from wires and across time. More news to follow of the acquisition of new high end filming equipment.
- Move away from all Adobe Products. We felt for a long time we're being expensive beta testers, our After Effects crash logs could stretch to the moon and back. After Effects is currently being supported by its long time users like ourselves who are writing the code to fix problems adobe are having. The majority of support and development being upheld by the wonderful people at www.aescripts.com, just make it open source.. they'll fix it, come on your world zero is still in the left hand corner! Its an exciting time for software, Affinity Photo & Pixelmator replacing Photoshop.. We've now included Fusion in our workflow and during this year we'll be looking at adopting Natron. We're also looking at MoHo Pro as a first step to replace After Effects.
- Invest. We constantly invest into our production kit, this year will be no different acquiring more technology and production kit enabling us to producer even high standard filmed projects. This year we'll be looking to go beyond 4k on the ground and aerial.
- Experiment more!.. What the point of all the wonderful production kit of you don't push it! We'll be implementing specific days across the months just for experimenting in hardware and software, we've already started the Lab section where we aim to post all the success and failure that comes with experiments!
We've just started to add a Lab section to our site, it'l be the new home to post work in progress and any experiments we have in film, animation, CG. It'll be a Lab in the true send of the word, mistakes and success will be posted if its interesting enough.
Recently we've won a few new clients which has helped us push the boundaries of our productions. Since September we've been working with Internet provider Metronet, helping to produce promotional material showing how they're 10gb wireless internet moves across the northwest. Metronet have recently invested £40m into providing a high speed wireless broadband across the northwest of England. Our job has been co-ordinaiting filming across rooftops from Liverpool to Manchester, prepped and ready for further animation. This Exciting project will be complete in the next few weeks with case studios available to view on our site.
We've also won Iris as a new client, Iris produce online accounts software packages for leading business across the UK & Europe. We'll be working with them across 2017 developing their explainer videos in a new fun and exciting style. We'll be posting some WIP on our new Lab section soon.
We've been a little quiet of late, mainly down to moving studios and winning a few new clients. Our new space is based in Liverpool's central CBD, with in house filming space of 1,200sq ft.+. The move was instigated by new larger projects needing to be housed in the city centre, with room to produce larger scale filmed projects. 2 months later we're almost settled in, finishing touches just being applied to the works space.
Nice mention to from over at www.lesterbanks.com http://lesterbanks.com/2016/09/edition-4-sparkle/
We're putting a new exciting service which we expect to release in October 2016, the project requires the collaborative skills of other directors from all walks of life, Art Directors, Motion Graphics Directors, Animation Directors, Corporate Film Directors etc..
If you work in any of these roles and would like to apply to be a part (further details released on application) please send a link to your portfolio and 50/100 words about yourself and what you do.
Applicants can only be in the UK & Europe for now, we're hoping to expand into other territories soon.
Please note this is not a full time position, it will make up a new collaborative service.
Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline 30.09.2016
Toys being made on the studio today, quick #wip
Production is almost complete on our new reel for 2016. This is a brief glimpse into the assets and breakdowns. Full breakdown and asset give away (free) once the reel is complete.
Its been a long time since we've done a motion graphics meet up, so with the summer slowly coming to an end we thought we'd test the waters and see if anyones intertested? We where thinking of something informal (an excuse for beer), everyone attending can showcase a portion of their reel, we'll hold informal digital clinics if people are having mograph problems or just want to see how something can be done, nerd out on software and see what other designers are up to... as well as general moans of industry issues!.. guests etc..
What it won't be:
- A place to come and find work
- Bug people with your reel
What it will be:
- See what others motion designers are doing
- Be part of a showcase
- Look for talent
- Get help with tech issues (3D, Mograph, After Effects etc)
- Nerd out about software and design process
- Drink beer
So if your vaguely interested give me a yay or a nay so we can see what kind of numbers maybe involved then we'll look to sourcing a venue (probably Liverpool). If it happens and goes well.. maybe it could happen once a month?
We joined in in Edition 4 in good company such as @jasondrewNQD @mostyle_tv @chrisfreisenvisuals @peterclarkdesigns @moromotto
It was a great project to be involved with, big thanks to simon for letting us be involved.
See the full project at http://30s.ec and view some breakdown images here
quick peak at some style frames from a ‘Fantastic Journey’ we’ve been working on. A Small collaboration with a few medical illustrators directing us on the journey cells take around are body as they live and die.
Sneak peek at a work in progress, this still is taken from a project we’ve now had in the planning for 2 years. Full project to be realised in July.. We’re massively excited by this project as it opens up our next 11 years and what we’re planning next for the company…